- - - - -
- - -
Current topic:
We'd love to include your perspective! Send submissions on any topic to fourperspectivesblog at gmail.com.

Next topic:


Monday, June 14, 2010

Mending Fences

Pin It It was several weeks ago, as I remember it, that I had the dream. I shared it the following day with my friend Barbara, calling her up to do so and feeling just a little silly, but knowing if I didn't verbalize it that my dream would have no validation.

It's not the first time, you see, that I've woken from a dream knowing that it was a message of sorts.

Doodoo doodoo doodoo doodooo. That's the theme to the Twilight Zone, in case you were wondering. I'm serious, though. It's that deja vu sensation...that this is more than just a dream feeling but I can't quite put my finger on it. Usually I either write them down or I tell someone about them when they occur. More often than not, I forget all about them. Last night, I dreamed about twins. I'm telling you about this now, so that when I wind up having twins in ten years, someone will remember this blog post and say OMG. She's psychic. And not OMG. She's looneytunes.

I was driving, as I frequently do, down a nearby country road. It was dusk, and the fading light struggled to make it past the canopy of summer leaves. I drove with the windows down, wind rushing in, music playing loud on the radio as usual. Nothing new there.

Up ahead, around a bend in a road, I caught sight of an older man peddling a child's red bike. The bike was too small, and the man was struggling. As I came closer, he stopped peddling and sat down on the side of the road. It was then that I saw he was my father.

I parked the car, climbed out and opened the back hatch. "Hey, Dad," I said, hefting the bike up and placing it carefully in the back. "Cimb on in. We'll be home in a minute."

And he did.

End of dream.

Nothing too strange there, right? Not unless you consider that my father and I have barely exchanged three words in close to eight years. Long story, lots of blahblahblah and angstangstansgst, but obviously it has grown roots in my subconscious. In Dad's, too, apparently, because yesterday I received an email from him: Subject: Mending Fences.

He's coming to Virginia in the next couple of weeks with my nephew, whom I haven't seen in ten years, and is it okay? Heck, yeah, it's okay. There are no fences to mend. Those fences have long since been removed. I guess it was kind of hard to see that with me here and you there.

There are only wide open spaces to drink in the sun here, and shady parkways to bike upon when that gets old.

Looneytunes or not, I'm liking my Dad-On-a-Bike dream.

15 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Nice post... I remember 'mending fences' w/mine... It was a bit strange since it was 10 years since he and I talked.. and by that time I had had two kids... I saw regret in his eyes especially after he saw the youngest that was only a few months old... What I didn't like was when he said to my mom " WE should of come around sooner"... Little did he know he was the one who instigated/severed ties...

PMC said...

geez lori. i am crying here. i have had a couple of amazing experiences very recently that had to do with my family and the connections we have...too much to go into....just really appreciated your sharing this and the beautiful way you wrote it. just beautiful.

Savira Gupta said...

Beautiful and hope the fences are mended with love and warmth

Teachinfourth said...

There are times I'll take the fantasy fairy tale over reality…

Hope your reality ends up being a good one.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. I tend to stay far, far away from this topic most days. It's just easier. I hear echoes, Chrissy and Misty...it's funny how prevalent those hurt feelings and quick tempers can be, isn't it? The one post I've written about the subject is @ http://hintonrae.wordpress.com/imported-posts/not-so-merry-and-bright-122308/ if you care to read it. I'm just thankful to be moving on.

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Lori, I read your post and left u a comment.

Alecia Smith said...

I read it. very nice!
work at home

Anaise said...

I had to mend some fences with my dad some time ago--I'm so glad I did!

I'm happy for you.

Bits-n-Pieces said...

sweet dream. I have the oddest dreams adn often wonder the meaning of them!

Rachel said...

Life is too short and our relationships with our families and loved ones are so important. It makes it so hard when there is tension. Fences get mended and then bullheadedness tears them down again. These are the most important relationships and yet they sometimes are the hardest to maintain!

You are a beautiful person Lori. So beautiful to open yourself to wide open spaces and no fences or walls to make the journey more difficult than it already is. Thanks for this post.

Susan Anderson said...

I like that dream, too. And I hope the next installment has a happy ending!

=)

PS. I was looking in on Teachinfourth because he stumbled across my blog today; then I decided to keep reading. Nice spot you guys have here!

Farscaper said...

That's awesome. I wonder if your dad really has been dreaming about you too. I hope things work out for the best for everyone.

Unknown said...

Alecia--thanks :)

Anaise--it's a good feeling to have all that behind you, finally, isn't it?

Bits-n-pieces--start writing them down. The conscious effort to recall them is an interesting process. I think it helps us realize how much our subconscious is making an effort to help us work through our "stuff."

Rachel--thank you for that. I'm more determined than ever this time to make sure it works--thought I had it fixed last time.

Sue--that Teachinfourth is pretty cool, isn't he? I'm glad you stopped by...I'll return that favor. I'm like you...I like visiting others. ;)

Farscaper--I know, right!? You have to wonder about these things. It's not coincidence. This I believe.

Corine Moore said...

I love your writing, Lori! This was another great post! And I couldn't agree more. I don't think there is any hole that can't be mended, or any fence that can't be rebuilt. Family are family - forever! Then end. (so are friends :)

Unknown said...

Corine--so well said. Thanks, girl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...