- - - - -
- - -
Current topic:
We'd love to include your perspective! Send submissions on any topic to fourperspectivesblog at gmail.com.

Next topic:


Thursday, March 18, 2010

One Fish, Two Fish

Pin It

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.

Garrison Keillor

I wonder how many of you have heard of the radio program on NPR A Prairie Home Companion. It’s kind of an old fashioned radio variety show with famous musical guests (usually folk or traditional music), tongue-in-cheek radio dramas and the wonderful witty story telling of the show’s host Garrison Keillor. Whenever I get the chance I will tune in on either Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon for a nostalgic and witty visit to Lake Woebegone (Keillor’s hometown).

I mentioned in a blog around Thanksgiving that I do a little weekly trivia challenge with the boys at my school. I usually try to pull questions from some of the things they’ve been learning about in History or Science. But I’ll also throw some questions in there about Bella, Edward and company since they’ve all ready the Twilight series - which totally cracks me up by the way that all these big tough guys are into the vampire love story. Anyway, lately inspired by A Prairie Home Companion, I’ve been adding some “punny” jokes to the mix just to test their reaction time and see who gets it and who doesn’t…which also totally cracks me up. Some of them laugh right away but some of them get a sort of puzzled blank expression on their face for some seconds before the light bulb turns on.

Here are some of my favorites:

Technology: I don’t need a smart phone. I just need is one that is reasonably intelligent.

Animals: What came before chimpanzee? Chimpan Y.

Politics: If con is the opposite of pro, is congress the opposite of progress?

Relationships: Why did God create man before he created woman? He didn’t want any advice.

But the best reaction came from “The Goldfish Joke.”

Two goldfish are in a tank. One fish says to the other fish, “Do you know how to drive this thing?”

Painful? Perhaps, but it made all of them smile…eventually, and that's not the easiest thing to do with my little delinquent boys sometimes.

Try it out and see if it works for you.

7 comments:

Anaise said...

I did in fact laugh aloud at the goldfish joke. And I am so going to use the chimpanzee/chimpan y joke with my kids at breakfast this morning. :)

Sojourner said...

I love those jokes :) The Goldfish one is a classic! You should ask them how many animals Moses took on the ark :D

Kalei's Best Friend said...

LOL, kinda reminds me of Henny Youngman jokes... U are probably too young to know he was... A comedian who would play the violin after telling a smartass joke like the ones above... I like the Adam and Eve one.... Isn't there some truth in jokes? otherwise why would it be a joke?

Unknown said...

Too funny, Mel! I'm definitely using some of these on mine. Lawson is a jokester--he brings home joke books from the library and spends oodles of time reading these corny jokes to me, one right after another. He'll love it.

Rachel said...

I'm one of those that laughs my head off and then later secretely asks the joke teller what the heck the joke means. :D

Debbie said...

I loved the one about God creating man first so as to not to get any advice!!:) cute post!!

Kelly L said...

very funny and sweet.

Love to you
Kelly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...