- - - - -
- - -
Current topic:
We'd love to include your perspective! Send submissions on any topic to fourperspectivesblog at gmail.com.

Next topic:


Friday, December 18, 2009

Humbugs

Pin It GUEST BLOGGER: CODE NAME, CHARLIE

I am blogging on a site which, as it seems, is read mostly by women. I will therefore abstain from posting a photo of myself for fear that most of you will go blind with ecstasy. Heck. Never mind, if you really want to see my photo you can always click here.

When I was a kid I didn’t think I’d ever grow up to be like Scrooge. He was never my hero. Who ever thinks they’ll be that type of person? There isn’t anyone that I know of.

There are many people who feel excited at this time of year, but I have not been feeling the spirit of Christmas lately. Granted, nobody probably feels upbeat and happy all the time. I sure know that, but I just don’t seem to have that ‘Christmas Sparkle’ that you know that you’re supposed to have.

When surfing through channels today, I came across “A Charlie Brown Christmas.” I found myself amazed at how much my feelings related to those of Charlie Brown at the beginning of the film.

Standing with Linus, Charlie says, “I think there must be something wrong with me, Linus. Christmas is coming, but I’m not happy. I don’t feel the way I’m supposed to feel. I just don’t understand Christmas I guess…I like getting presents, and sending Christmas cards, and decorating trees and all that, but I’m still not happy. I always end up feeling depressed… I almost wish there weren’t a holiday season. I know nobody likes me. Why do we have to have a holiday season to emphasize it?”

As I watched the program I found myself drawn in to Charlie Brown’s predicament. I had never really listened closely to what Charlie said before; I knew that he was bummed out, but I never really realized just how closely his feelings related to mine.

Twenty minutes in, I listened even more closely to the words of Linus Van Pelt, and how much sense they made to me. I felt a little better. I guess I really need to focus on others during this time of year to find that glow that has been lacking lately. When I was growing up, I was always told to ‘seek for happiness in helping others.’ I was again reminded of this while I was listening to a favorite Christian radio station on the AM dial recently. The pastor gave a message of service, and how “in serving, we become like him.” He spoke of how we will find joy if we give up ourselves and embrace this season through the lifting others.



I guess I found my answer, and now I just need to do it.

5 comments:

Anaise said...

I clicked on your photo link--couldn't help myself--when the picture came up I laughed. My children came over to investigate, shrieked in astonishment and asked if that was a real person.

Then we watched YouTube videos of Charlie Brown.

It was fun.

Oh, and we believe in service, too.

Gerb said...

I know just what you mean. It can be difficult to find happiness in so many facets of this time of year. I have found that losing myself in the service of others helps exponentially. It's something I need to be reminded of, though - so thanks.

Richard & Natalie said...

Thanks for the reminder esp. at this of year when we are so wrapped up in giving that we forget that perhaps giving of ourselves is the best gift of all.

The Charlie Brown clip is classic and so good. I'm going to share it with my kids today.

BTW- I checked out your pic... and yes, you are devastatingly handsome. :)

Unknown said...

Loved the pic...definitely suffering from blindness.

I love watching these old kid Christmas movies with the rugrats and laughing over the familiar jokes and being reminded of the life lessons we grew up with...those were definitely the good ole days.

Charlie said...

Anaise, I'm happy that the picture was all you dreamed of and more.

Gerb, I'm glad that I'm not the only one which feels this way sometimes. It makes me think that I really am human too.

Natalie, Thanks for the great compliment. I also love that movie clip.

Lori, Sorry about burning your eyes out with my good looks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...