- - - - -
- - -
Current topic:
We'd love to include your perspective! Send submissions on any topic to fourperspectivesblog at gmail.com.

Next topic:


Wednesday, May 12, 2010

i h8 txt msgs

Pin It
photo from ucar.edu

Have you ever felt like you were born in the wrong time period? I know that I often do.

I long for slower days. I love to imagine what it would have been like to only communicate through letters, photographs and face to face interaction. Everywhere I look there are newer and better technologies which enable us to communicate faster and more efficiently. These things have their place, to be sure, but I would be just fine without most of them.

My case in point:

As I ventured into a local health food store recently I was stopped by a woman who was peddling a vitamin product. I actually stopped to listen since I had the time and I was remotely interested in her presentation. However, she completely lost me when, in the middle of her sales pitch, she pulled out her phone and read from it. Suddenly, I was unimportant because of the pull to whatever text message or phone call she was receiving. I decided that I wasn't really interested in her product, anyway. I just walked away.

At schools, at meetings, at church; everywhere I go I see people who are completely connected to their phones. It drives me batty. It is why I have refused to become a texter. Hello, I am a human being, and I am standing before you. Words are coming out of my mouth, directed toward you. Could you just ignore the phone for a while and allow for some human interaction?

And besides all of that, no one knows how to spell anymore! What the heck are 'cul8r' and 'thnx'? Use your vowels, for Pete's sake! Pass a note! Write a letter! Walk up to the person you want to communicate with, open your mouth, and SPEAK the words that your thumbs cannot. TRY IT!

(deep breath...)

This concludes my technology rant. Thanks for reading.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...