- - - - -
- - -
Current topic:
We'd love to include your perspective! Send submissions on any topic to fourperspectivesblog at gmail.com.

Next topic:


Thursday, January 20, 2011

Toxic Waste

Pin It

Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway. ~Author Unknown

So I’ll bet you’ve all be wondering how my diet is going. Well, some days it’s going great! Absolutely A+-who-needs-willpower-you-can’t-tempt-me-with-your-pitiful-Cherry-Garcia great. And then there’s the other six days of the week.

Seriously though, I am about 6 weeks out and I’ve lost 10lbs. OK, 9.4lbs as of this morning…but my hair was wet. I am glad the scale is moving slooowwwly in the right direction, but 9.4lbs really isn’t all that much to brag about. I know that I could be doing better (mmmm….butter).

I know, I know… it’s a matter of building and cultivating good habits and integrating little healthy changes into my lifestyle. Like picking the frozen yogurt instead of the ColdStone Ice cream (I’ll do it, but I won’t pretend it’s just as good). Or parking at the far end of the parking lot and sprinting the the extra distance as though heading to Black Friday sale at Walmart. And then being consistent with it all. Consistency is the hard part don’t you think? Consistency is a BEAR (mmmm…bearclaw)!

But I realized today that I’ve managed to kind of kill two birds with one stone (mmmm...Cold Stone). You see, I’ve really been concentrating this week on drinking enough water. I’m supposed to drink about 2quarts a day to stave off the dreaded dehydration and to help flush out the toxins (Ewww). But speaking of flushing, the other dead bird in this scenario is that drinking all this water has had the unintended benefit of adding to my daily exercise. At work, the distance between my office and the restroom is roughly the equivalent of a city block. A mile here in Provo is about 12 blocks. Just today, after all that water, I added almost a whole mile to my walking regimen and flushed an awful lot of toxins while I was at it.

All potty-humor aside though, with life and work so busy, the hardest thing is to not to slip back into what is easier. Being healthy takes so much more effort and planning - it’s no wonder fast-food is so popular.

Mark Twain said, “The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd druther not.” Some days it feels like Old Mark couldn’t be more right. But I’ve lost 9.4lbs, I don’t want it to find me again, so I'll do my best to keep changing, planning, walking, drinking…and flushing.

3 comments:

Anaise said...

Whew! I'm tired on your behalf.

But I'm also impressed with your self-discipline.

Way to go!

Richard & Natalie said...

Way to go, Mel! 9.4 is nothing to shake your head at. Besides you are 7.4 up on me, so kudos to you!

And I hear you on the whole water thing. On the days that I am good and drink what I am told to it makes it near impossible to go anywhere- except the bathroom.

Keep it up!

Teachinfourth said...

Rock on, Mel! Baby steps, girl...baby steps.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...