- - - - -
- - -
Current topic:
We'd love to include your perspective! Send submissions on any topic to fourperspectivesblog at gmail.com.

Next topic:


Tuesday, January 18, 2011

ComedySportz and Thank You

Pin It
About two or three times a month I work at ComedySportz - Utah's premier improv comedy troupe.

I’m Mr. Voice.

I’m the guy who does the announcing, keeps score, does sound effects, music, lights, and interjects comments throughout the show. At times I can be funny; and at others I am most definitely not.

When the show comes to an end I call out all of the players, and they run outside to meet the crowd and talk. When I used to be a player I did the same thing.

However, Mr. Voice does not.

I stay up in the sound booth and play music while everyone is leaving. If someone I know has come to the show, they will usually come and chat with me. However, it is rare that anyone comes up after the show and says anything to me. Mr. Voice is more or less like the guy stocking the shelves at Wal-Mart whom we seldom notice…unless he does something wrong; such as blocking the aisle with his pallet load of food or nonfood items.

But at my last show, two people went out of their way to come up and say, “Hey, I just wanted to tell you thanks…you did a great job tonight.”

That simple, little phrase really meant a lot.

What this little phrase also did was to make me realize that I need to compliment people around me far more than I do. I need to acknowledge their large—or small—contributions to the everyday mundane moments and places around me.

Sometimes being thankful can be a hard thing to remember because of all we take for granted, but I do know that it is important.

By the way, I posted over at my other blog tonight as well.

3 comments:

Just SO said...

Next time you post on FB that you have tickets to ComedySportz I'm all over it. I've wanted to in the past but never been able to. I bet you do a fabulous job!

And thank you are two powerful words. Especially when used together.

Thank you for this post and thank you for being you :)

Richard & Natalie said...

So true. I don't think that the phrase "thank you" could ever be over used. So thank you for an insightful post.

And I've only heard you as Mr. Voice once, but I thought you ROCKED!

Rachel said...

You pretty much just described being a mother right there in a few paragraphs. :)

Thank you for this post. It is a good reminder because there are so many people in motion around me all day long, everywhere I go that need to be thanked. And not just for the big things....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...