- - - - -
- - -
Current topic:
We'd love to include your perspective! Send submissions on any topic to fourperspectivesblog at gmail.com.

Next topic:


Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Generation Gap

Pin It
Coolister (the tall guy) and some of his awesome (and also smart) friends.


When I was in high school my friends were all much more intelligent than I. It's not that I wasn't smart - I just didn't have any expectations to meet so I suppose you could say I didn't care about what grades I would get as long as I was going to graduate. High school graduation was as far as my parents got and it was as far as they expected me to go.

Fast forward to my senior year...

All of my friends were getting acceptance letters to colleges and universities before I even knew what the ACT Test was. I found out that my long-distance friend in Washington was accepted to a junior college in Idaho called Ricks with a whopping ACT score of 17. I didn't even know what the ACT was, but I signed up to take it so I could apply to Ricks and be roommates with her.

A score of something close to 17 became my goal.

Actually, the term goal is used loosely in that last sentence since I showed up the morning of the ACT armed with a pencil and my driver's license. I didn't even think about studying because I didn't know exactly what the ACT was or what I would be tested on. A few weeks later I got my score: 25! I was ecstatic.

Now fast forward to the present...

Not only do I want my kids to receive a college education - they desire this for themselves. It started with reading books and learning colors and letters with them as wee ones and continued throughout elementary, middle and high school. Education has always been a priority and they know it. Learning happened as much at home as it did at school and there have always been expectations.

My eldest child is a senior in high school. Not only did he study for the ACT well in advance, he took it his junior year. He got a score of 32 and was disappointed. He took it again last month and found out that he increased his score by one point. He was pleased, but still wished for at least a 34. For those of you who may not know, a 36 is the highest score you can get. I love that he sets such high expectations of himself.

I try not to brag too often in the blog world about how awesome my kids are, although I am tempted to do it all the time because they make me so dang proud. In fact, about 10 things just ran through my mind that I could gush on and on about, but I will refrain. The point of this post is this:

I love how a major, positive change in a family pattern can happen in just one generation.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Tall, good looking, smart, and driven. Not a bad combination!

Rebecca said...

P.S. I also like the point you made in the end. The experiences we have and the choices we make are so powerful!

Unknown said...

Like! No, wait...LOVE! ;o)

Cari said...

Seriously, Allen almost doubled my ACT score! (In all fairness, I took it before I had Biology. Excuses, excuses!) I think back to when I was in high school and the thought of colleges and preparing for the future took a back seat to dance concerts and boys. I am in utter awe (I just laughed a little after typing that!) in what our children accomplish. You have EVERY reason to brag! :) And I'm going to steal that picture if that's okay. :)

Gerb said...

Rebecca- So I'm not the only one who thinks these things about that kid, eh? Makes me wonder what the teenage girls think...

BTM- Thanks!

Cari- Our kids are pretty dang amazing, aren't they? As for the picture stealing - no problem... I stole it myself. (Gotta love Facebook!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...