- - - - -
- - -
Current topic:
We'd love to include your perspective! Send submissions on any topic to fourperspectivesblog at gmail.com.

Next topic:


Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Different Is Good

Pin It

pic from cute_wallpaper.com


I recently did a post on my own blog where I listed a few of the books I've read over the past month and then asked for some good recommendations. One book was named repeatedly and given glowing reviews - and I could not wait to get my hands on it!

I got on the waiting list for this particular novel at the library and within a week or so it became available. I started to read it almost as soon as it was placed into my hands, excited for the adventure that awaited me within its pages.

Well. About 30 pages into the book I was thinking, "It must be starting slow. It's going to get good, I know it!" So I kept reading. And I kept thinking it was going to, at some point, become the amazing story I had envisioned. When I made it to Part 2 I realized that this book was not going to even come close to meeting my expectations and I put it down - for good.

Does this mean there was something wrong with those who loved the book and suggested it to me? No. It also doesn't mean there is anything wrong with my own taste in literature. It simply means that we have different opinions. And you know what? Different is good.

Different is what keeps life interesting.

6 comments:

Maleen said...

Wait, you totally can't leave us hanging like that. Which book was it?

And sometimes when things are talked up too much, it can ruin an otherwise fairly good book or movie. I am always the last to see movies and often they just aren't as amazing as people say.

diane rene said...

different is most definitely good. I feel the same way about the movie Inception. I am still hearing rave reviews about DiCaprio and his daring new character ... ugh ... and it's up for a ton of awards.
me? I just didn't see it.

mistyc0x said...

LOVE the fish....love it....

Rachel said...

RUDE! Now you HAVE to tell us which book it is that we all raved about and you thought was meh!

"Great Expectations". Hate that book. Expected something great. Never was. Same with, "Room With A View". No view......

Just SO said...

Different is good. I always feel sheepish whenever I'm around women who adore Jane Austen. I smile and I'm happy for them that they love her so but her books are not for me.

Mel said...

I felt that way about Tolkien. I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get there. Liked the movies though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...